Tax Organizer Question Help

Please refer to the explanations below if you are not sure how to answer any question found in the Tax Organizer:

First Name 

Please provide your first name exactly as it appears on your Social Security Card.

Middle Name

Your middle name is not listed on your Social Security card. Therefore, you do not need to specify it here.

Last Name

It’s important to enter your last name exactly as it is printed on your Social Security card. If the last name on your passport is different than the name listed on your Social Security card, you should still provide the last name listed on your Social Security card. This is because the IRS records cross-check your last name with the Social Security database, not against passport data. It’s always necessary to inform the Social Security Administration about a name change (due to marriage, etc.), otherwise, your old name will be used on your US tax return.

Social Security Number

If you don't have a Social Security number, you can enter 000-00-0000 and indicate this in the Notes section.

Date of Birth

Please enter your date of birth using the format Nov-09-1982 (i.e. first three letters of the month, 2 digits for the day of the month, and 4 digits for the year).

Were you officially married as of Dec-31-20xx?

The U.S. government considers a marriage legal regardless of where it was registered. For example, if your marriage was officially registered in the UK, your answer to this question is YES.

However, the U.S. government does not recognize civil unions or civil partnerships. I.e. if you are in a civil partnership, your answer here is NO.

Same-sex marriage is also considered legal if it was defined as a marriage at the time of registration. I.e. if you are in a same-sex marriage, your answer here is YES.

If you were legally separated as of this date, your answer is NO.

If your spouse died during the filing year, your answer here is YES.  If the spouse died before this year and you have not remarried, your answer here is NO.

Spouse Personal Details

Providing your spouse’s basic personal details is required, regardless of their citizenship.

If your spouse does not have a Social Security number, you should enter 000-00-0000. However, if they do have an SS# or ITIN, it is in your best interest to indicate it. By doing so, you make it possible for your individual tax return to be e-filed. Additionally, your own taxable income can potentially be reduced by taking a personal exemption for your spouse.


If you have earned a salary for any part of the filing year, please indicate your current occupation. Do not provide the role, the title, or the sector that you work in. For example, if you are a teacher - just type in 'teacher' (you don't have to provide your area of specialty or the specific school you work in).

If you were unemployed throughout the entire year, then indicate your occupation as UNEMPLOYED.

If you were working for yourself as a freelancer or as a business owner, then indicate your occupation as SELF-EMPLOYED.

Do you have dependent children or other dependent family members?

Dependent children (even if they are not U.S. citizens) can potentially improve your tax position.

Do you pay for Child Care?

Child care is defined as individuals or establishments that ensure child safety and welfare. For example, a daycare facility is considered child care.

However, establishments that fully or partially provide education are not eligible - neither in the U.S. or abroad. I.e. a kindergarten or preschool is not considered to be child care.

Refund Method

You can provide your U.S. bank account details on your tax return. By doing so, the IRS will be able to deposit your refund directly into your specified U.S. bank account.

If you don't have a U.S. bank account, please select the Check mailed option to have theIRS send you a check for your refund. Please note that refunds can be electronically deposited only into a U.S. bank account.

Did you make retirement contributions to a traditional IRA/ROTH IRA/SEP IRA?

IRA contributions (individual retirement accounts) can potentially improve your tax position by reducing your taxable income. Please note that contributions are defined as new money added from outside of the account. By contrast, a reinvestment is not considered to be a contribution.

If retirement contributions were made within employer-sponsored plans (such as a 401(k) or 403B plan), your answer here should be No.

Did you make retirement contributions to an HSA?

Please note that a Health Savings Account (HSA) is a tax-exempt account. It is set up with an IRS-qualified HSA trustee to pay for or reimburse specific medical expenses that you incur.

File Upload - what to do if you’re missing some (or all) of the tax documents we asked for?

If you are asked to upload a document that you don't currently have, you can skip it and provide a comment about the missing document in the Notes section.

The reason we ask for these documents is to ensure that you are providing 100% accurate figures to the IRS (they will certainly check them).


You can provide additional information/comments regarding your specific tax situation in this section.