- Documents, Explained
- Previewing Documents
- Viewing a Document’s History (Audit Trail)
- Printing Documents
- Downloading Documents
- Deleting and Restoring Documents
- Editing Documents
- Searching Documents
- Filtering Documents
- Sorting the Documents List
Any files you have uploaded are stored in the Documents section inside the Client uploaded documents top-level folder.
All files uploaded by your accountant or tax preparer are stored in your Documents section inside the Firm docs shared with clients top-level folder. Once you have a new firm-prepared document, you’ll see a notification for it on your dashboard and in the menu. Click the notification or go to the Documents section to view uploaded documents.
Here, the following information is available for the documents:
- NAME: the document’s name and a file-type icon next to it.
- DATE UPLOADED: when the document was uploaded.
- UPLOADED BY: With Firm-Prepared Documents, you’ll see the name of the firm member who uploaded it.
- DESCRIPTION: Descriptions are optional, so one may be available if the person who uploaded the document provided one.
- PENDING PAYMENT: The document is locked and waiting for you to pay the linked invoice
- PENDING APPROVAL: Documents that are awaiting your approval
- APPROVED: Documents that have your approval
- DISAPPROVED: Documents that were rejected by you
- PENDING E-SIGNATURE. Documents that are awaiting your e-signature
- SIGNED: All users have signed the document
- DECLINED SIGNATURE: All users have declined to sign the document
- SEALED. Your accountant has the option to seal documents. Once a document is sealed, you cannot delete it, edit the file info, or move it to another folder
You can preview files by using TaxDome’s built-in document viewer. Click on the document’s name to open the viewer. Click CLOSE to return to the list of files.
Note that you cannot fill out the forms inside the PDF documents uploaded by your accountant. You need to download the document, use the third-party software to fill out the form, then upload it to TaxDome.
If the PDF orientation is wrong, you can rotate the document counterclockwise by clicking on the icon.
When previewing images, you can rotate them counterclockwise or zoom in and zoom.
While viewing the document, you can also download it, view its audit trail, move it to another folder, print, edit, share, or delete it (some options available only for Your Documents). Click the three-dots icon in the upper right corner to get access to these options.
If there are two or more files in the current folder, you can move between them using the Previous and Next links on the top right.
Viewing a Document’s History (Audit Trail)
You can always see what events have taken place with files that have been uploaded by your accountant. The audit log makes it easy to find out when it was uploaded, viewed, downloaded, signed, renamed, approved, or disapproved. It also tells you whether you opted out of electronic signature.
To access a document’s history, click on the three-dots icon, then click on Audit Trail.
The following info is available here:
- USER: the first and last name and email address of the user who accessed the file.
- EVENT: what took place with the file.
- SERVER TIME: when that event took place.
- CLIENT TIME: when the event took place for the client.
- IP ADDRESS: the IP address of the user who accessed the file,
- BROWSER: the browser used when the event took place.
You can print PDF documents and images (JPG, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, WEBP, etc.) right from client's account. To do so, click on the three dots icon to the far right of the document’s name, then click Print. You can also access the Print link from the document viewer.
You can also download your files:
- Select the files/folders you want to download, then click on Download at the top of the table.
Note: You can also access the download link from the document viewer.
2. If prompted, choose where you would like to save the file, then click Save.
3. When the download finishes, you’ll usually see it appear at the bottom of your browser window. Click on the file’s name to open it. For more details, go to How to Specify Where Files Are Downloaded. If several files/folders were selected, the documents will be packed to Zip archive.
Deleting and Restoring Documents
When you delete a document from TaxDome, you put it in the Trash section. The file will stay there for 120 days and then will be permanently deleted. Files that were deleted from Client uploaded documents folder by your accountant are also available in the Trash section for 120 days.
- Select the checkbox next to the document(s) you want to remove, сlick the three-dots icon on the top right, then click on the Delete link.
You can also access the Delete link from the document viewer.
2. You can also DELETE at the top of the table.
3. Click the DELETE button in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Note: You cannot delete files uploaded by your accountant.
You can access all files that were deleted during the last 30 days by navigating to the Trash subsection of the Docs section.
- Files removed from different folders are displayed in one list. You can see a document’s location in the PATH column.
- You still can download files when they are in the Trash section.
- When you delete a folder, all files from a folder are placed in the Trash section. Empty folders are deleted immediately.
To restore a document, click on the three-dots icon to the far right of the document’s name, then click Restore.
- If a location for the restored file does not exist, it is automatically created.
- The document Audit Trail is restored along with the file.
To edit file info, click on the three-dots icon on the right, then click Edit. You can change the file name and the description of the file here. Click Save to save your edits.
Note: You cannot edit files uploaded by your accountant.
To search for documents, type its name in the search field, then click on enter on your keyboard.
The document list will be narrowed to your specifications.
Filters are useful when are looking for specific types of documents. For example, you can quickly find all your PDF files.
To filter your list of firm-prepared documents:
- Click the Filter button, then select the File Type.
- Click Apply filter.
The list will be narrowed to your specifications.
Sorting Documents List
Sometimes, you might want to sort a document list rather than filter it. The sorting option can also be used with the search and filtering functions to narrow down your search even more.
You can sort the list by who did the uploading or by the date uploaded. Click on the up-down arrow next to the UPLOADED BY or DATE UPLOADED column header to sort the list below it.