Your tax return cannot be prepared without your accountant obtaining some essential tax information from you. Tax Organizer is an easy way to provide that info to your preparer. It includes some basic questions regarding your specific tax situation. Once you have answered them, the preparer will be able to start working on your tax return.
- Creating a Tax Organizer
- Completing a Tax Organizer
- Uploading Files
- Editing a Tax Organizer
- Submitting a Tax Organizer
Creating a Tax Organizer
You will need to create a separate Tax Organizer for each year. For example, if you need to file for 2015 to 2017, you will need to create three separate Tax Organizers: one for 2015, one for 2016 and one for 2017. You cannot create two organizers for the same year.
To start a new Tax Organizer:
- Navigate to the Documents section and then to the Tax Organizers section, then click on New Tax Organizer.
- In the NEW TAX ORGANIZER pop-up, specify the year for which you want to create the tax organizer. Years that you have previously uploaded documents for will already be listed. If you want to create a tax organizer for another year, click on the Add year link, enter the year, then click SAVE.
- Click CREATE.
Completing a Tax Organizer
There are six tabs in a Tax Organizer. Please answer all of the questions to the best of your ability and then mark it as complete. Your tax preparer will base the preparation of your return and other tax documents on your answers in the Tax Organizer. If you are not sure how to answer some of the questions, please refer to this article.
While completing your Tax Organizer you will be asked to upload documents that are needed for tax preparation (e.g. Form W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-K, 1099-SA etc). You can upload PDFs, Word files, Excel files, images, and ZIP archive files. For all types of files with the exception of ZIP, the maximum upload file size permitted is 25 MB. For ZIP archive files, the maximum permitted upload file size is 50 MB.
You can upload files from your computer or add files that have been uploaded to TaxDome previously.
To add files from TaxDome, click Upload Files, then From TaxDome, then select the tax year and click on the file name. All the files from Your Documents section are available here.
To upload files from your computer:
1. Click Upload Files, then From my computer, then click the Upload documents button and locate on your computer the files you wish to upload:
- To add several files from one folder, select multiple files from that one folder by holding down the Ctrl key while selecting the files.
- To add files from another folder, simply click on the Upload documents button again.
- To add all files from a folder, click on the Upload folder button.
2. Select the tax year to which the document belongs.
3. Add an optional text description (up to 150 characters).
4. Select the folder to which the document will be uploaded. If a folder is not selected, the document is saved to the selected tax year folder.
5. Click Upload to add the document to the system.
Editing a Tax Organizer
A Tax Organizer contains about 25 questions, so it may be completed in one sitting. However, if you need to take a break, you can always come back to your Tax Organizer later. Your answers are saved after every field change, so you can close the Tax Organizer webpage & resume the questions on another day or on another computer without losing any info you have already entered. You can also edit the information that you have already entered as many times as you like until the Tax Organizer has been submitted.
To continue working on a Tax Organizer that you have already started, or to make changes to the information that you’ve already entered, navigate to the Documents, than to the Tax Organizers section, then click the year link. All changes made to the tax organizer will be automatically saved.
Submitting a Tax Organizer
Once you’ve answered all the questions in your Tax Organizer, you can submit it for review. Browse to the Submit tab, then click the SUBMIT NOW button. Please make sure that you have provided all of the necessary info.
Submitting the Organizer will let the preparer know that the questions have been answered and that it's time for them to be reviewed. They will check it to make sure it contains all of the information they need in order to start working on your return.
Deleting a Tax Organizer
To delete a Tax Organizer:
- Click on the red cross icon, then click YES, DELETE.
- Enter the answer to verification question, then click YES, DELETE button.