How to Sign Documents
Electronic signatures have been recognized by law in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Australia since the early 2000s. An e-signature is just as valid as a signature penned on paper. But it means you don’t have to take time from your busy schedule to drop by your accountant’s office or go through the hassle of printing, signing, making copies, and then snail-mailing a document back. Instead, you sign the document directly from your client portal, using TaxDome’s quick and easy e-signing feature.
If you have documents that are awaiting your e-signature, you will see a notification on your Dashboard. Click to review the document.
All documents that have signatures pending are displayed in your Documents tab under the Signatures subtab.
You’ll find the following information about your pending documents here:
- NAME: The document’s name.
- SIGNED: If you have already e-signed the document, a green checkmarked circle will be displayed here. If the document is not yet e-signed, you'll see the pencil icon. If you've declined to sign the document, you'll see the red icon. If the e-signature was requested for a document that was locked by a bill, you will need to settle that bill first.
- DATE UPLOADED: The date the document was uploaded to TaxDome.
- DATE REQUESTED: The date the document was sent to you for e-signing.
E-Signing Firm-Prepared Documents
To review and sign a document, follow these steps:
1. Click on the pencil icon to the far right of the document’s name.
2. Review the contents of the file in document viewer, then click the fields to e-sign where requested. A Fields to fill counter at the top will help you to proceed. Click the Next button to highlight the next field. Note that you can’t sign your document until all fields are filled.
3. Once all fields are filled, click SIGN. If your accountant has requested a KBA-based authentication, click SIGN WITH KBA, answer additional questions meant to verify your identity, and then click FINISH. You have two attempts to pass the KBA process. You need to answer three out of five questions correctly.
You can also decline the option to sign electronically by clicking on the Decline to sign link and then clicking on OPT-OUT OF ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE button. In this case, please get in touch with your firm contact to discuss alternative options for signing documents.