Mobile: Managing Documents
- Documents, Explained
- Previewing Documents
- Viewing a Document’s History (Audit Trail)
- Downloading Documents
- Deleting and Restoring Documents
- Editing Documents
- Searching Documents
- Filtering Documents
- Sorting the Documents List
Any files you have uploaded are stored in the Documents section inside the Client uploaded documents folder. To get there from your Home screen, tap the burger icon on the top left, then tap Documents.
All files uploaded by your accountant or tax preparer are stored in the Documents section inside the Firm docs shared with client folder. Once you have a new firm-prepared document:
- You’ll see a notification in the menu to the right of the Documents section.
- You’ll get a push notification on your device.
- You’ll see the number of unread documents on your dashboard.
To see the documents stored inside a folder, tap the folder’s name.
The following information is available here:
- NAME: the name of the document with a file-type icon next to it. Documents that have not been viewed by you are marked NEW.
- DATE UPLOADED: when the document was uploaded.
- UPLOADED BY: With Firm-Prepared Documents, you’ll see the name of the firm member who uploaded it.
- DESCRIPTION: Descriptions are optional, so you’ll see one only if the person who uploaded the file provided one.
- PENDING PAYMENT: The document is locked and waiting for you to pay the linked invoice
- PENDING APPROVAL: Documents that are awaiting your approval
- APPROVED: Documents that have your approval
- DISAPPROVED: Documents that were rejected by you
- PENDING E-SIGNATURE. Documents that are awaiting your e-signature
- SIGNED: All users have signed the document
- DECLINED SIGNATURE: All users have declined to sign the document
- SEALED. Your accountant has the option to seal documents. Once a document is sealed, you cannot delete it, edit the file info, or move it to another folder
To see the upload date and description, tap the three-dots icon next to the file’s name, then select More Info.
To navigate to another folder, tap Documents, then select the folder.
You can preview files by using TaxDome's built-in document viewer: Tap the document’s name to see it, then tap CLOSE to return to your list of documents.
While viewing a document, you can also choose to share it, download it, view its audit trail, move it to another folder, edit or delete it (some options available only for Client uploaded documents). Tap the three-dots icon in the upper right corner to choose from these options.
If there are two or more files in the current folder, move between them by using the Previous and Next arrows on the top right.
Note: Preview is not supported for some file types (e.g., PDFs). If a preview is unavailable, you’ll be given the choice to download the file and can view it in an external application.
Viewing a Document’s History (File Audit Trail)
You can always see what events have taken place with files uploaded by your firm. The audit log makes it easy to find out whether the document has been uploaded, viewed, downloaded, signed, renamed, approved, or rejected.
To access a document’s history, tap the three-dots icon, then tap Audit Trail.
You can also access the Audit Trail link from the document viewer.
The following info is available here:
- USER: the first name and last name and email address of the user who accessed the file.
- EVENT: the event that took place with the file.
To access additional document history (when an event took place, the user’s time when an event took place, the IP address of the user who accessed the file, and the browser used ), use the TaxDome Web app.
You can also download files.
1. Tap the file’s name in the document list.
2. Tap the three-dots icon on the top right, then select Download.
3. Tap Allow to get TaxDome access to photos, media, and files on your device (this need be done only once).
4. Select the location where files will be saved.
Deleting and Restoring Documents
When you delete a document from TaxDome, you put it in the Trash section. The file stays there for 30 days and then will be permanently deleted. Files that were deleted from Client uploaded documents folder by your accountant are also available in Trash section for 30 days.
To remove a document from TaxDome:
1. Select the checkbox next to the document(s) you want to remove, tap the three-dots icon on the top right, then tap Delete Selected.
2. Tap the DELETE button in the Document Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Note: You cannot delete files uploaded by your accountant.
You can access all files that were deleted during the last 30 days by navigating to the Trash subsection of the Documents section (swipe left).
- Files removed from different folders are displayed in one list.
- When you delete a folder, all files from a folder are placed in the Trash section. Empty folders are immediately deleted.
To restore a document, tap the three-dots icon to the far right of the document’s name, then tap Restore.
- If a location for the restored file doesn’t exist, one is automatically created.
- A document’s Audit Trail is restored along with the file.
To edit a file's info, tap the three-dots icon next to the file’s name, then select Edit. You can change the file’s name and description. Tap SAVE to save your edits.
Note: You cannot edit files uploaded by your accountant.
To search for certain documents, type keyword or part of it in the search field, then tap the enter on your keyboard. The document list will be narrowed to your specifications. Tap the cross icon in the search field to clear the search.
Filters are useful when you are looking for a specific type of document. For example, you can quickly find all Microsoft Excel files that were uploaded in 2017.
To filter your documents list:
1. Tap the FILTER button, then filter by File Type.
3. Tap APPLY FILTER.
The list will be narrowed to your specifications.
To clear the applied filters, tap the FILTER button, then select the Reset All link.
Sorting the Documents List
Sometimes, you may want to sort a list rather than filter it. The sorting option can also be used along with the search and filtering functions to narrow the list down even more.
On your mobile device, you can sort by document name. Tap the arrow to the right of the NAME header to sort the list below it.