Mobile: Managing Documents
- Previewing Documents
- Audit Trail: Viewing a Document’s History
- Downloading Documents
- Deleting Documents
- Editing Documents
- Searching for Documents
- Filtering Documents
- Sorting the Document List
Any uploaded files are stored in the Documents section inside a folder with Client can view and edit access. To get there from Home, tap the burger icon on the top left, then tap Documents.
All documents uploaded by your accountant or tax preparer are stored in the Documents section inside a folder with Client can view access. Once you have a new firm-prepared document:
- A notification appears in the Documents section.
- You receive a push notification.
- The number of unread documents appears on your dashboard.
To see documents stored inside a folder, tap the folder’s name.
Here, you’ll see the following about each document:
- NAME: An icon showing the file type, then the name of the document itself. If you haven’t yet viewed it, it’s marked NEW.
- DATE UPLOADED: The day/time it was uploaded.
- UPLOADED BY: If it’s in a folder with Client can view access, you’ll see the name of the person who uploaded it.
- DESCRIPTION: Descriptions are optional, so you’ll see one only if the uploader added one.
- PENDING PAYMENT: This mean it is locked to an invoice awaiting your payment. The document will unlock so you can view it once you make the payment.
- PENDING APPROVAL: You must approve it.
- APPROVED: You have approved it.
- DISAPPROVED: You have rejected it.
- PENDING E-SIGNATURE: You must e-sign it.
- SIGNED: All signatories have e-signed it.
- DECLINED SIGNATURE: All signatories have declined to sign it.
- SEALED: Your accountant has sealed it. When a document is sealed, you cannot delete, edit or move it.
To see the upload date and description, tap the three dots to the right of the document’s name, then select More Info.
To go to another folder, tap Documents, then select the folder.
Preview documents by using TaxDome’s built-in document viewer: Tap the doc’s name to see it, then tap Back to return to your list of documents.
While viewing a document, you can download it, view its audit trail, move it to another folder and edit or delete it (some options are available only for documents inside folders with a Client can view and edit access). Tap the three dots in the upper right corner to choose from the options.
If there are two or more documents in the current folder, move between them by using the < and > arrows on the top right.
Note: Preview does not support all file types. If a preview is unavailable, download the document and view it in an external application.
Audit Trail: Viewing a Document’s History
To see what events have taken place with a document uploaded by your firm, visit its audit trail. The audit log makes it easy to find out whether the document has been uploaded, viewed, downloaded, e-signed, renamed, approved or rejected.
To access a document’s history, tap the three dots, then tap Audit Trail.
You can also get to Audit Trail from the document viewer.
You’ll see the following here:
- USER: This shows the name and email address of the person who accessed the document.
- EVENT: This is the action that took place with the document.
To see more of a document’s history—such as when an event took place, the user’s time when the event took place and the user’s IP address and browser—use the TaxDome Web app instead.
To download documents:
1. Tap the document’s name in the list.
2. Tap the three dots on the top right, then select Download.
3. Tap Allow to give TaxDome access to photos, media and files on your device (this needs to be done only once).
4. Select the location where documents will be saved.
When you delete a document, it moves to the trash and can be restored for 120 days. After 120 days, the document is permanently deleted.
To delete a document:
1. Tap the three dots to the right of the document name, then tap Delete.
2. Tap DELETE in the Delete Confirmation pop-up.
Note: You cannot delete documents uploaded by your accountant.
To access documents that were deleted in the last 30 days, go to the Trash section in Documents (swipe left).
- Documents removed from different folders are displayed in one list.
- When you delete a folder, all documents inside it are placed in the Trash section. Empty folders are immediately deleted.
To restore a document, open the document, tap the three dots to the far right of the document’s name, then select Restore in the drop-down menu.
- If a location hasn’t been selected for the restored document, one is created.
- The document’s audit trail is restored.
To edit a document, tap the three dots to the right of its name, then select Edit. You can also change the name and description. Tap SAVE to keep your changes.
Note: You cannot edit documents uploaded by your accountant.
Searching for Documents
To search for a document, type a keyword in the search field, then tap enter. A list of folders containing documents with the keyword are displayed. Tap the x in the search field to clear the search.
Filters are useful when you are looking for specific types of documents; for example, all Microsoft Excel files uploaded in 2017.
To filter the document list:
1. Tap the FILTER button, then filter by File Type.
3. Tap APPLY FILTER.
The list is narrowed accordingly.
To clear the applied filters, tap FILTER, then select Reset.
Sorting the Document List
You may want to sort a list rather than filter it. The sorting option can also be used along with the search and filtering functions.
On your mobile device, you can sort by document name. Tap the arrow to the right of the NAME header to sort the list below it.