Mobile: Secure Messages
- What Are Messages
- Creating Messages
- Viewing Messages
- Managing Your Tasks
- Uploading Requested Files
- Downloading Documents from Messages
What Are Messages
Messages are an in-app secure communication tool that resemble chat threads. Here’s what to know:
- Both you and your accountant can create messages to ask each other questions, get info, or upload and download forms.
- Your preparer receives a notification that a question is pending and then answers it.
- All messages and attached files are stored in one place and can be reviewed at any time.
- Both you and your accountant can attach files to messages.
- Your accountant can add tasks for you in messages. Once you’ve completed a task, either you or your accountant can check it off as done. And you have the option to see all your tasks on a separate page.
- Once everything in a message thread has been taken care of, your accountant archives it.
If you have a question for your accountant, send a message:
1. Tap the burger icon at the top left, select Messages, then tap NEW MESSAGE.
2. Write what you need to inquire about. Apply formatting and add bullets or numbered lists. Give the message a title (optional)—you can do this later later or edit it at any time.
3. Tap the blue send button. Your preparer will receive an email informing them that they have a pending message from you.
Once you have a new message, you’ll see a notification in the main menu. All pending messages along with tasks added to them are displayed on your dashboard. Click the notification to view and answer it.
You’ll always get a push notification when your accountant sends you a message or asks for additional information. Tap the notification to view your message immediately.
To see all your message threads, tap the Messages section.
All messages are either under the Active or Archived tab. Messages inside the Active tab require additional information from you. Once you respond to them, your accountant archives them.
You can see the message’s name in the Messages section. To see when the message was created and who wrote it, tap the three dots icon next to the message's name, then select More Info.
Sometimes, it’s helpful to sort your messages so that you can easily find something. You can sort them by title. Tap the up-down arrows to the right of TITLE to sort the list below.
Managing Your Tasks
Within a message thread, your accountant might assign tasks for you—they'll look like items on a to-do checklist. Your accountant can add tasks to a thread at any time. Once a task is completed, either you or your accountant can check it off.
You can see your tasks in your notifications on your dashboard.
You can also track your tasks from all your messages threads on a single page. The tasks that refer to one message thread always appear grouped together. You’ll find the following in the Client Tasks subtab of the Messages tab (swipe left to review it):
- TASKS: the task’s name.
- TITLE: the message’s name. Tap it to jump to the thread.
- PROGRESS: The first figure shows the number of completed tasks; the second, the total number of tasks in a message thread.
- DATE: when the message was added.
- CREATED BY: who created the message.
- LAST RESPONSE: When the last response occurred and who wrote it.
To search for a specific task, type a keyword in the search field, then hit enter on your keyboard. The task list will be narrowed to your specifications.
You can also filter the list to see only messages containing completed/incompleted tasks or the messages created by a specific person:
1. Tap the FILTER button.
2. Select one or two filters, then tap APPLY.
A narrowed list then appears.
Uploading Requested Files
Within a message thread, your preparer can ask you to upload documents that are needed for tax preparation (e.g., Form W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-K, 1099-SA, etc.). The maximum upload file size allowed is 200 MB.
You can upload files from your device or ones already on TaxDome.
To add files from TaxDome, navigate to the Documents tab inside a message thread, tap + ATTACH DOCUMENTS, then From TaxDome, then select the folder and tap the file name. All the files from Your Documents section are available here.
To upload files from your device:
1. Navigate to the Documents tab,Tap + ATTACH DOCUMENTS, then From My Device, then tap the + ADD DOCUMENTS button and locate the files you want to upload from your device. Alternatively, tap the SCAN DOCUMENT button to take a photo of your document instead.
2. Select the folder where you want to upload the document.
3. Add an optional text description (up to 150 characters).
4. Tap UPLOAD to add the document to the message.
Downloading Documents from Messages
You can download any files that have been uploaded to Messages by you or your accountant.
To download a file onto your computer or device:
1. Navigate to the Documents tab, tap Firm Uploaded Documents or Client Uploaded Documents to expand the files list, then tap the download icon.
2. Tap ALLOW to get TaxDome access to photos, media, and files on your device (this needs to be done only once).
3. Select the location to which files will be saved.