Secure Instant Messages With Tasks
- Messages & Tasks, Explained
- Creating Messages
- Replying to Messages
- Managing Your Tasks
- Managing Files Within Messages
Messages & Tasks, Explained
Messages are an in-app instant, secure communication tool that resembles chat threads. Here’s what to know:
- Both you and your accountant can create messages to ask each other questions, get info, or upload and download forms.
- Your preparer receives a notification that a question is pending and then answers it.
- All messages and attachments are stored in one place and can be reviewed at any time.
- Both you and your accountant can attach documents to messages.
- When your accountant has responded to a message or uploaded a document, and you have the thread open on your device, you will instantly see it.
- Your accountant can add tasks for you in messages. Once you’ve completed a task, either you or your accountant can check it off as done. And you have the option to see all your tasks on one page.
- Once everything in a message thread has been taken care of, your accountant archives it.
If you have a question for your accountant, send a message:
1. Go to the Messages & Tasks section, then click New Chat. You can also create a new message using New Chat from the dashboard on the right of your Home page.
2. Write your message. Apply formatting and add bullets or numbered lists. Give the message a name (optional, and you can do this later or edit it anytime).
3. Click Create Chat. Your preparer will receive an email informing them that they have a pending message from you.
Replying to Messages
Once you have a new message, you’ll see a notification in the main menu. All pending messages along with the tasks inside them are displayed on your dashboard.
Remember, you’ll always get an email notification when your accountant sends you a message or requests additional information. Click the link in the message to view and reply to it.
Read the message from your accountant, then type a reply in the message field, then click the send icon when you're done.
To access your messages, go to Messages & Tasks from the main menu. All messages are either under the Active or Archived tab. Messages inside the Active tab need to be addressed. Once you have responded to them, your accountant archives them.
Inside the Active tab, chats are sorted chronologically by most recent response. On the left, a list displays information about the last response time, author, subject, and status of client tasks for each thread. The unread threads have a green badge next to them indicating the number of unread messages.
Managing Your Tasks
Your accountant might assign tasks inside a message: They’ll look like items on a to-do checklist. Once a task is completed, either you or your accountant can check it off.
Check your tasks right from the notification on your dashboard.
If you want to track your tasks from all your messages on a single page, go to the Messages & Tasks tab and open Client Tasks. The tasks that refer to one message thread are always grouped together.
- TASKS: the task’s name
- TITLE: the message’s name. Click it to jump to the thread.
- PROGRESS: The first figure shows the number of completed tasks; the second, the total number of tasks in a message thread.
- DATE CREATED: the date or time the message was added
- CREATOR: the name of the person who created the message
- LAST RESPONSE: the date or time of the last response to the message and who wrote it
By default, all tasks assigned to you are displayed. To view only your completed or incomplete tasks, use the quick filter on the left.
To search for a specific task, type a keyword in the search field, then press enter on your keyboard. The task list is then narrowed accordingly.
You can also filter the list to see only messages containing completed or incomplete tasks or the messages created by a specific person:
1. Click FILTER on the top right.
2. Select one or two filters, then click APPLY.
The narrowed list will then appear.
Managing Files Within Messages
Your preparer may ask you to upload documents needed for tax preparation to a message (e.g., Form W2, 1099-MISC, 1099-K, 1099-SA, etc.). The maximum upload file size allowed is 200 MB.
You can upload files either from your computer or already on TaxDome.
Click ATTACH DOCUMENTS, then select your preference:
- Attaching files from TaxDome: Select From TaxDome, then click the folder and choose the files. You’ll be able to attach files from folders with a Client can view and edit permission level.
- Uploading files from your computer: Select From My Computer, then click ADD DOCUMENTS and locate the files you want to upload.
- Uploading whole folders: Select From My Computer, click ADD FOLDER, then choose the folder. For more on processing folders, go here.
- Uploading Zip archives: Select From My Computer, click ADD DOCUMENTS, then locate the compressed file you want to upload. It will automatically unpack. Learn more about this here.
When your accountant uploads a document, and you have the thread open on your device, you’ll instantly see it.
If you have uploaded the wrong document, you can easily remove it by clicking the bin icon located to the right of the file name.
To view any of the files you or your accountant uploaded to messages, click on the folder's name to expand the file list, then click on the eye icon to open the document viewer. Click Close to return to the messages screen.
If you want to download a file uploaded to messages onto your computer or device, follow these three steps:
1. Click on the folder’s name to expand the files list, then click on the download icon.
2. If prompted, choose where you would like to save the file, then click Save.
3. When the download finishes, you’ll usually see it appear at the bottom of your browser window. Click on the file name to open the downloaded document (For more details on specifying where files are downloaded, go here.)